Navajo Dam Technical Working Group
Purpose and Participation
The meeting was held via WebEx Video conferencing. An operations and activities report from the meeting was emailed along with slides, and is available to download below in the archives.
The purpose of these meetings, held annually in January, April, and August, is to gather stakeholder input for determining upcoming operations for Navajo Reservoir. This input is used in Reclamation’s development of an overall 24-month study for operation of Reclamation projects in the Upper Colorado River Basin, which includes plans for Glen Canyon, Flaming Gorge, Aspinall Unit and Navajo. Input from individuals, organizations, and agencies along with other factors such as weather, water rights, endangered species requirements, flood control, hydro power, recreation, fish and wildlife management, and reservoir levels, will be considered in the development of these reservoir operation plans. In addition, the meetings are used to coordinate activities and exchange information among agencies, water users, and other interested parties concerning the San Juan River and Navajo Reservoir.
The meeting was held on August 22nd, 2023 in a hybrid format. Full documentation is available to download below in the Archives in PDF form.
- WY 2023 April-July runoff was well above average throughout the San Juan River Basin. Navajo Modified Unregulated Inflow totaled 1,028 kaf which was 163% of average.
- The current elevation is 6053.85 ft with a live storage of 1,216 kaf (74% full) and an active storage of 590 kaf (58% full). This is 94% of average for this time of year.
- A spring peak release was conducted that totaled 257 kaf over base, accomplishing three of four ESA goals.
- Summer and early Fall releases will likely range between 500 and 800 cfs during irrigation, subject to weather at the time. Late fall and winter releases will be lowered likely near 300 cfs as long as the downstream target baseflow can be satisfied.
- The current outlook for WY 2024 is wide, ranging from 51% of average to 165% of average.
The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, January 16th at 1:00 PM. This meeting is currently planned to be held in-person with a video and/or phone option. Please contact email@example.com for questions or updates. Visit the Navajo Dam website at https://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/crsp/cs/nvd.html for operational updates.