Navajo Dam Technical Working Group
Purpose and Participation
This meeting was held in Farmington, New Mexico at the Civic Center on April 23rd, 2019. The meeting minutes, as mailed, as well as the meeting handouts are available in the archives. Meeting attendance is shown on the archived minutes.
The purpose of these meetings, held annually in January, April, and August, is to gather stakeholder input for determining upcoming operations for Navajo Reservoir. This input is used in Reclamation’s development of an overall 24-month study for operation of Reclamation projects in the Upper Colorado River Basin, which includes plans for Glen Canyon, Flaming Gorge, Aspinall Unit and Navajo. Input from individuals, organizations, and agencies along with other factors such as weather, water rights, endangered species requirements, flood control, hydro power, recreation, fish and wildlife management, and reservoir levels, will be considered in the development of these reservoir operation plans. In addition, the meetings are used to coordinate activities and exchange information among agencies, water users, and other interested parties concerning the San Juan River and Navajo Reservoir.
Full meeting Minutes and the Presentation is available below in the Archives in PDF form.
- • Peak snow water equivalent over Navajo was 29.9 inches (148% of median peak) on April 5th.
• Current most probable forecast into Navajo is 875kaf.
• A short maintenance release is planned for spring 2019.
• End of water year reservoir elevation is forecast to be near 6055 ft.
• Outside of the maintenance release, releases will likely range between 300 and 800 cfs for the remainder of the water year, that necessary to maintain target baseflow in the critical habitat reach.
An evening public meeting will be held on Tuesday April 30th, 2019 at 6pm at the Bloomfield City Council Chambers, 915 North First Street, Bloomfield, NM. The meeting will cover general Navajo Operations and plans for 2019 releases. San Juan County Office of Emergency Management will be present and there will be opportunity for discussion, comments, and questions.
The next Navajo Unit Operations Coordination meeting will be Wednesday, August 21st, 2019 at 1pm at the Farmington Civic Center, 200 West Arrington, in Farmington, New Mexico.