Grade Level Kindergarten
1.0 Properties of materials can be observed, measured, and predicted. As a basis for understanding this concept:
- 1b. Students know water can be liquid or a solid and can be made to change back and forth
- Standards Correlation: Relief Map
- 1c. Students know water left in open container evaporates (goes into the air) but water in closed container does not.
- Standards Correlation: Relief map, Sand table
3.0 Earth is composed of land, air, and water. As a basis for understanding this concept:
- 3a. Students know characteristics of mountains, rivers, oceans, valleys, deserts, and landforms.
- Standards Correlation: Relief map, American River Canyon, Murals
- 3b. Students know changes in weather occur from day to day and across seasons, affecting the Earth and its inhabitants.
- Standards Correlation: Sand table
- 3c. Students know how to identify resources from Earth that are used in everyday life and understand that many resources can be conserved.
- Standards Correlation: Low-flow shower display, Kitchen
Language Arts1.0 Listening and Speaking Strategies – Students listen and respond to oral communication. They speak in clear and coherent sentences.
History - Social Science - “Learning and Working Now and Long Ago”K.4 Students compare and contrast the locations of people, places, and environments and describe their characteristics.
- K.4.1 Determine the relative location of objects using terms near/far, left/right, and behind/front.
- Standards Correlation: Relief Map, American River Canyon, Glass Case, Mural, Sand Table
- K.4.2 Distinguish between land and water on maps and globes and locate general areas referenced in historical legends and stories.
- Standards Correlation: Relief map, American River Canyon, Sand table
- K.6.3 Understand how people lived in earlier times and how their lives would be different today (e.g., getting water from a well, growing food, making clothing, having fun, forming organizations, living by rules and laws).
- Standards Correlation: American River Canyon, Sand table