The environment in which we reside is comprised of resources that we use on a regular basis. Environmental resources such as oil, energy, air and water are all resources which have limited supplies and provides us with questions about conserving these resources.
While it would appear to the average person that these resources should have an unlimited supply, this is not the case. Environmentalists are concerned about all of these resources and unless we watch and ensure that we use them properly, they will not be available when we need them.
In particular, water conservation is an area of concern. Not only is the cleanliness of the water at issue, but the amount of water that we need is a concern. To ensure that we have a sufficient amount of water available, we need to teach and practice good water conservation techniques. We have assembled a collection of resources to learn about water conservation and to help teach children.
General Water Conservation
- Water Conservation Tips - Water conservation is one of the most cost-effective and environmentally friendly ways to reduce our demand for water. This article covers many tips to learn about conservation.
- Save Water and Protect the Environment – Ideas from the Environmental Protection Agency on how saving water protects the environment.
- Water Conservation – Tips and ideas from the State of Washington on how we can help conserve water.
- Tips for Water Conservation – 24 tips on how we can save water in our everyday life.
- Water Conservation for Kids – Simple kid friendly suggestions on how they can save water.
- Household Water Conservation – Article from Penn State on how you can conserve water around the house.
- Water Conservation Links – A collection of resources on conserving water
Teaching About Water Conservation
- Learning to be Water Wise – Collection of resources for teachers and parents on teaching children about water conservation.
- Water Learn – A virtual conservation center for kids to learn about water.
- Water Conservation Word Scramble – Online game on water conservation for kids.
- Water Saver Workbook – A collection of water conservation from the New York City Department of Environmental Protection.
- How Much Water Do You Use – Worksheet showing an estimate of how much water you use on a regular basis.
- Environmental Education – Collection of resources for educators to use in teaching about the environment.
- Teaching Soil and Water Conservation – Classroom and field guide on teaching conservation ideas.
- Teaching Conservation for America – White House article on how teaching conservation to all Americans is very important for the future.
- Aims Education Foundation
- California Department of Education
- California Foundation for Agriculture in the Classroom
- Columbia Education Center's Mini Lessons
- Education World: Where Educators Go To Learn
- Explorit Science Center
- Project WET
- Sacramento River Discovery Center
- USGS Water Science for Schools
- Water Education Foundation
- Water Environment Federation
- NTSA Water Matters, Volume 1
- Energy Explained
- Lawrence Hall of Science
- Magic School Bus
- National Geographic
- Public Broadcasting System Kid's Page
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Kid's Corner
- EPA Office of Water - Kid's Stuff
- American River Natural History Association (ARNHA)
- California Department of Water Resources
- California Resources Agency
- Centers for Water and Wildland Resources
- EPA Office of Water
- EPA Surf Your Watershed
- Klamath Resource Information System
- Conservation Tech. Information Center
- Meet the Pacific Salmon
- National Forests & California's Water
- Native Fish Society
- NW Fishnet
- Sacramento Stormwater Quality Partnership
- Friends of Lakes Folsom & Natoma
Partners & Alliances
Special Thanks to
- The Water Cycle
- All About the Water Cycle
- The Water Cycle
- Droplet and the Water Cycle
- 20 Interesting and Useful Facts About Water
- Water Facts
- Water Facts and Trivia
- Kid's Water Facts
- Earth and the Water Cycle
- Water Games, Trivia and Activities
- Earth's Water Cycle
- The Water Cycle
- Tristin's Water Cycle
- Drinking Water and the Water Cycle for Kids