The environment in which we reside is comprised of resources that we use on a regular basis. Environmental resources such as oil, energy, air and water are all resources which have limited supplies and provides us with questions about conserving these resources.
While it would appear to the average person that these resources should have an unlimited supply, this is not the case. Environmentalists are concerned about all of these resources and unless we watch and ensure that we use them properly, they will not be available when we need them.
In particular, water conservation is an area of concern. Not only is the cleanliness of the water at issue, but the amount of water that we need is a concern. To ensure that we have a sufficient amount of water available, we need to teach and practice good water conservation techniques. We have assembled a collection of resources to learn about water conservation and to help teach children.
General Water Conservation
- Water Conservation Tips - Water conservation is one of the most cost-effective and environmentally friendly ways to reduce our demand for water. This article covers many tips to learn about conservation.
- Save Water and Protect the Environment – Ideas from the Environmental Protection Agency on how saving water protects the environment.
- Water Conservation – Tips and ideas from the State of Washington on how we can help conserve water.
- Tips for Water Conservation – 23 tips on how we can save water in our everyday life.
- Why Conserve? – Three simple reasons on why we should save water.
- Household Water Conservation – Article from Penn State on how you can conserve water around the house.
- Water Conservation Links – A collection of resources on conserving water
Teaching About Water Conservation
- Learning to be Water Wise – Collection of resources for teachers and parents on teaching children about water conservation.
- Teaching Soil and Water Conservation – Classroom and field guide on teaching conservation ideas.
- Aims Education Foundation
- California Department of Education
- California Foundation for Agriculture in the Classroom
- Education World: Where Educators Go To Learn
- Explorit Science Center
- Project WET
- USGS Science Explorer
- Water Education Foundation
- Water Environment Federation
- NTSA Water Matters
- Energy Kids - US Energy Information Administration
- Lawrence Hall of Science
- National Geographic Kids
- Public Broadcasting System Kid's Page
- EPA Office - WaterSense for Kids
- American River Natural History Association (ARNHA)
- California Department of Water Resources
- California Natural Resources Agency
- National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis
- EPA Office - Water Topics
- EPA Office - How's My Waterway
- U.S. Forest Service - Parents & Teachers
- Native Fish Society
- Sacramento Stormwater Quality Partnership - Water Facts
- Water Conservation in the CGB Region
Partners & Alliances
- The Water Cycle - KidsZone
- USGS - The Water Cycle for Schools and Kids
- Enchanted Learning - The Water Cycle
- NASA - Water Science Links
- Water Facts - The Power of Water
- Water Facts and Trivia
- NASA - Earth Observatory and the Water Cycle
- EPA Office - Water Games and Activities for Grades K - 12
- Windows to the Universe - Earth's Water Cycle
- USGS - Condensation and the Water Cycle
- Drinking Water and the Water Cycle for Kids (Links)