Invasive mussels attach to hard surfaces and are known to clog intakes and engines, pipes, and water transport structures. They are also known to be found in any water that is in the bilge or ballast tank.
All boaters and other water craft recreational users should take simple, precautionary steps - every time they go to a lake, river, or stream.
Before leaving a lake or waterway, boaters should:
- Drain the water from the boat, live well and the lower unit of the engine.
- Clean the hull of your boat.
- Dry the boat, fishing gear, and equipment.
- Inspect all exposed surfaces.
- Remove all plant and animal material.
Equipment Cleaning Manual
Procedures have been developed in this manual to address the transport of invasive species and pests through equipment movement. This manual provides guidance for inspecting and cleaning vehicles and equipment to help prevent the spread of noxious invasive species during Bureau of Reclamation activities. The general types of equipment described in this manual are:
- Rubber-tired land vehicles
- Tracked land vehicles
- Personal use equipment
- Construction and facility equipment