FORT SHAW HISTORIC DISTRICT AND CEMETERY
One mile northwest of town of Fort Shaw
National Register 1/11/1985
This district consists of six standing buildings that were once part of the Fort Shaw military post, foundation remains of other structures, and the Fort Shaw Military Cemetery located about one mile west of the Fort complex. Only the cemetery is on Bureau of Reclamation land. Fort Shaw was established as a military fort in 1867 to protect travelers going west and the settlers in the Sun River Valley. In 1891, the fort was abandoned as a military post and thereafter was used as an Indian School and then as a school for Euro-American children. The cemetery is associated with both the military and Indian school periods of the post's history.