Workforce diversity is an ongoing dynamic of successful organizations.
In the 21st century, Reclamation will continue to face increasing demands for the most limited resource in the west – water. Limited water resources in the west will pose formidable challenges to Reclamation, the nation’s premier water agency. To meet these challenges successfully, Reclamation will need to enlist the full participation of all citizens from all communities in carrying out its mission. For these reasons, it is essential that Reclamation be able to attract and retain a highly skilled and diverse workforce. This underscores the need for all Reclamation employees, supervisors and managers to promote and maintain a positive work environment including the benefit and value of individual differences.
The purpose of workforce diversity is to promote a bureauwide diversity program. This includes, but is not limited to promoting, coordinating, facilitating, monitoring, reporting on, developing and assessing the implementation of bureauwide strategic plans, policies, and procedures and initiatives for achieving a diversified workforce.This includes implementation of the Department of the Interior’s annual Diversity and Inclusion Strategic Plan and integration of diversity initiatives and plans in Reclamation’s Management Directive 715, Reclamation Workforce Plans and ongoing workforce succession needs and participating with Reclamation EEO/Civil Rights staff in managing MD-715 requirements..
Additional responsibilities of the Workforce Diversity staff include:
- planning and implementing outreach and public involvement programs to promote Reclamation’s mission and objectives;
- developing, analyzing and presenting Bureau workforce data for presentation to Reclamation, Department or EEOC officials;
- identifying, collecting, and assessing information gathered from interviews with senior management, program officials, employees and supervisors including legislative and program data, formulating findings, conclusions and recommendations for written and oral presentations;
- managing Reclamation’s Special Emphasis Program, identifying annual diversity/cultural educational and training requirements, developing educational and information projects, exhibits, visual aids and other promotional materials to increase awareness and promote workforce diversity, diversity initiatives and activities and integrating new programs;
- overseeing the Reclamation-wide Diversity Training program including writing and distributing diversity-related documents and providing technical advice and assistance on statutory compliance and training materials, grant applications, cooperative agreements, bureauwide workforce dynamics; and
- developing and maintaining relationships with other Federal Agencies, state and local governments, colleges and universities, and foundations to develop strategies and partnerships to further Reclamation’s Workforce Diversity Program.