Hydraulics Laboratory Equipment and Capabilities
The Hydraulics Laboratory provides about 54,000 square feet of indoor, climate-controlled modeling space. A 240,000-gallon storage reservoir provides water for permanent and temporary testing facilities supplied through an automated flow delivery and measurement system. Major laboratory features include:
- State-of-the-art laboratory control and data acquisition systems
- Four 100-150 hp variable-speed pumps that deliver water into our perimeter pipe chase
- One low-head portable pump with approximately 25 cfs output capacity
- Several portable 10-30 hp pumps
- 250 hp high-head pump capable of delivering 1 cfs at up to 600 ft of head.
- Venturi meters in fixed delivery system from 3- to 14-inch diameter with flow measurement ranges from 0.1 cfs to 20 cfs
- 44,000 pound volumetric/weigh tank facility to calibrate the laboratory venturi meters and other measurement devices
- Tilting flume, 3 feet wide, 60 feet long, with slope variable from -2% to 8%.
- Glass walled flume, 8 feet high, 4 feet wide, and 80 feet long.
- Acoustic Doppler Velocity meters (ADVs, FlowTrackers)
- Acoustic Doppler Current Profilers
- Particle image velocimetry system
- Laser doppler velocimeter
- Closed conduit acoustic flowmeters
- High-speed data acquisition, still-photo, and videographic equipment
Specialized equipment also includes:
Low ambient pressure chamber (vacuum tank) with dedicated 100 hp variable speed pump can operate at pressures as low as 0.1 atmospheres. Dimensions: 6 feet by 10 feet by 15 feet.
|Fully instrumented and automated 5-pool model canal system for demonstration, training, and research related to canal modernization and canal operations.|