Partnership Agreements

Technology Transfer enables Federal agencies, the private sector, and other non-Federal entities to join forces so that: U.S. industries have easy access to Federal research and development expertise and facilities; Federal agencies have access to private sector expertise and resources that complement their agency mission-driven research and development; and U.S. industries remain more competitive in the global marketplace through technology innovation which helps create jobs, strengthen our national economy, and reduce the nation's foreign trade deficit.

Reclamation may use one or more technology transfer agreements:

  • Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA)
  • Facility Use/Service Agreement (FUA or FUSA)
  • License Agreement (LA)
  • Material Transfer Agreement (MTA)
  • Transfer of Material-CRADA (MTA-CRADA)

Please contact the Technology Transfer Staff to discuss partnership interests and determine which type of agreement is appropriate for partnering.

Cooperative Research and Development Agreements

Under Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADA), non-Federal cooperating entities can seek to further develop and commercialize Reclamation's technology, merge Reclamation's technology with the non-Federal entity's technology, or jointly discover and develop a new technology. CRADAs provide the collaborator the first right to negotiate an exclusive license to inventions made under a CRADA and provide confidentiality for information generated under a CRADA for up to five years. The collaborator can provide the resources (funds, personnel, equipment, or materials) for developing and commercializing a new product, process, or service. Reclamation can provide similar resources or other in-kind resources, but can't provide funding. Reclamation will enter into a CRADA when the objective relates to its mission in water and power deliveries. Download the CRADA Guide  →

Facility Use/Service Agreement

A Facility Use Service Agreement (FUSA) allows collaborators to use specialized Government facilities, equipment, and/or capabilities that are not readily available from the private sector. Download the FUSA Guide  →

License Agreement

A License Agreement (LA) is an agreement between the owner of a patent or other intellectual property and another party interested in using the owned property or protected invention. Licenses may be granted to a non-federal entity for the right to practice, make, and/or sell a patented invention or other intellectual property owned by the federal laboratory. Partners interested in licensing Reclamation's inventions can start by obtaining a license application from a Technology Transfer Staff. Download the LA Guide  →

Material Transfer Agreement

A Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) allows for the exchange of a quantity of a unique material between Reclamation and another party for research or commercial testing. It does not transfer title to the material and, at the conclusion of time limited use, the material is either returned or destroyed. The MTA requires that the recipient abide by all applicable Federal standards, including those for handling biological, radiological, and other hazardous materials. Download the MTA Guide  →

Transfer of Material Cooperative Research and Development Agreement

A Transfer of Material Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (MTA- CRADA) allows Reclamation and its researchers to provide, receive, or exchange a quantity of unique material to a non-Federal party and exchange limited technical or scientific expertise to accomplish a mutual objective with or without reimbursement. Intellectual property may be anticipated. The collaboration must have a mission value to the Federal laboratory and some technical or commercial significance for the collaborator.

Last Updated: 6/22/20