New Pleasant Grove Maintenance Building
Written by: Rachel Musil
Rendering of the new Pleasant Grove Maintenance Building Construction for the new Provo Area Office maintenance building is expected to start soon in Pleasant Grove, Utah. Current facilities at the Pleasant Grove drill yard consisted of three trailers that were getting to the end of their useful life, which established the need for new facilities to be built to better house the offices for the drill crew that currently utilizes the trailers for their offices and storage.
The new building will be a combination maintenance shop and office that will serve as the operations center for the Force Account and the Drill Crew from the Provo Area Office. There will be eight offices included in the approximately 2,200 square foot office section of the building with an attached 6,600 square foot maintenance shop. Only 8 percent of the building is office space while 30 percent will be used for team rooms and utilities with 62 percent of the building consisting of the warehouse and shop. The architect of the building included different sloped roof lines and side paneling to invoke the feeling of rivers flowing and cascading down over rocks.
The Pleasant Grove Reclamation site was once a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp established in October of 1939. Camp Pleasant Grove was the second of two CCC camps assigned to the Provo River Project. Both camps contributed significantly to the realization of the Deer Creek Dam and Reservoir by clearing and preparing the reservoir site. Crews removed trees and brush, salvaged several buildings and tore down fences around the Deer Creek Reservoir right-of way.
The CCC camp was built on Reclamation land. After the camp closed it was placed under the control of the Salt Lake Army Air Base and was a military training facility. When the Army no longer needed the camp Reclamation requested to the use of the camp in connection with the enlargement of the Provo Reservoir Canal in March 1944. Reclamation has continued to use the site along with the Provo River Water Users Association as a maintenance and storage facility. Two abandoned CCC building remained onsite: the old mess hall and what has been assumed to be the bathhouse. In preparation for the construction of the new building the Provo Area Office worked with the Utah Historic Preservation Office and Pleasant Grove to document and remove the structures.
Published on June 14, 2017