The Pilot Butte Power Plant, located at the drop from the Wyoming Canal to Pilot Butte Reservoir was taken out of service in June 1973. A new penstock was installed and units were placed in service in June 1990.
Pilot Canal flows in a generally easterly direction from Pilot Butte Reservoir, servicing lands south of those supplied by the Wyoming Canal.
The project was authorized for construction by the Secretary of the Interior on June 19, 1918, under the terms of the Indian Appropriation Act for fiscal year 1919, and approved by the Congress on May 25, 1918. By the act of June 5, 1920, the project was placed under Reclamation's jurisdiction. On September 25, 1970, Public Law 91-409 reauthorized the project as the Riverton Unit of the Pick-Sloan Missouri Basin Program.
Pilot Butte Power Plant was built to supply power to the project. Pilot Butte Power Plant is operated on a seasonal basis during the diversion of irrigation flows to Pilot Butte Reservoir. The Pilot Butte Power Plant, located at the drop from the Wyoming Canal to Pilot Butte Reservoir was taken out of service in June 1973. A new penstock was installed and units were placed in service in June 1990. Emergency repairs were completed in FY 2003 on the stator core of Unit 2. This required disassembly of the unit and removal of the rotor. Repairs to the rotor were also accomplished during the outage. The plant has two generating units which operate under a maximum head of 105 feet with a total capacity of 1,600 kilowatts. Power is distributed over 76 miles of transmission lines.
Western Electricity Coordinating Council, Rocky Mountain Power Area
PMA Service Area
Western Area Power Administration, Rocky Mountain Region
Year of Initial Operation
Original Nameplate Capacity
Title: Facility Manager Organization: Big Horn Basin Field Office Address: #4 Reclamation Road City: Cody, WY 82414 Phone: 307-527-6256-(ext.-260)
More Information about the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation