Alcova Power Plant was authorized and built after Alcova Dam was completed in 1938. Construction of Alcova Power Plant was completed in 1955.
The Kendrick Project conserves the waters of the North Platte River for irrigation and electric power generation. The project is a multiple-purpose development with storage at Seminoe Reservoir and diversion at Alcova Dam to project lands. Operation of the reservoirs and power plants is integrated with other river basin developments.
The President approved the Kendrick Project on August 30, 1935. The Alcova Power Plant was authorized for construction on August 22, 1950, under the provisions of section 9(a) of the Reclamation Project Act of 1939. Originally known as Casper-Alcova, the project was renamed Kendrick in 1937.
Water from Alcova Dam is released for other irrigation rights downstream through the Alcova Power Plant or over a controlled spillway. The plant uses the 165-foot drop from the reservoir to the river for power generation. It consists of two units, each a 20,700-kilowatt vertical-shaft generator driven by a 26,500-horsepower turbine. The reservoir has a total capacity of 184,208 acre-feet, of which only the top 30,606 acre-feet is active capacity available for irrigation. The CO2 fire suppression systems for the two generating units will be installed in FY-2008. The wicket gate greasing systems for both generating units will be installed in FY-2009. Alcova Power Plant was authorized and built after Alcova Dam was completed in 1938. Construction of Alcova Power Plant was completed in 1955.
Western Electricity Coordinating Council, Rocky Mountain Power Area
PMA Service Area
Western Area Power Administration, Rocky Mountain Region
Original Nameplate Capacity
Year of Initial Operation
North Platte River
Title: Facility Manager Organization: North Platte Projects Field Office Address: 22122 Kortes Road City: Alcova, WY 82620 Phone: 307-261-5960
More Information about the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation