News Release Archive
Public Hearing on Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the Red River Valley Water Supply Project
For Release: January 25, 2006
Red River Valley Water Supply ProjectThe Bureau of Reclamation and the state of North Dakota, represented by the Garrison Diversion Conservancy District, will hold a public hearing to receive comment on the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) related to the Red River Valley Water Supply Project. The purpose of this DEIS is to evaluate the eight proposed alternatives to meet the long term water supply needs of the Red River Valley in North Dakota and three cities in Minnesota.
The evening will consist of an informal open house beginning at 6:30 P.M. followed by a formal public hearing to begin at 7:00 P.M. on Thursday, February, 2. The location for the meeting is the Best Western Doublewood Inn, 1400 East Interchange Avenue, Bismarck, N.D.
The meeting will begin with a half hour-long informal open house followed by an informative presentation summarizing the contents of the DEIS. After the presentation, a formal public hearing will be held, providing an opportunity for verbal comment on the contents of the Draft EIS. Requests to comment may be made at each hearing and speakers will be scheduled accordingly. Comments will be limited to 5 minutes and will be recorded by a court stenographer to be included as part of the hearing record.
In addition to accepting verbal comments at the public hearing, written comments may be submitted at the hearing or sent to Red River Valley Water Supply Project, Bureau of Reclamation, P.O. Box 1017, Bismarck, North Dakota, 58502-1017 by Tuesday, February 28, 2006. There will be a total of seven public hearings for the DEIS:
- Thursday, February 2, 2006, 7:00 p.m., Bismarck, North Dakota, Best Western Doublewood Inn, 1400 East Interchange Avenue
- Tuesday, February 7, 2006, 7:00 p.m., Grand Forks, North Dakota, Holiday Inn, 1210 North 43rd Street
- Wednesday, February 8, 2006, 7:00 p.m., Warroad, Minnesota, Warroad Public School Theatre, 510 Cedar Avenue
- Thursday, February 9, 2006, 7:00 p.m., Valley City, North Dakota, AmericInn, 280 Winter Show Road Southeast
- Wednesday, February 15, 2006, 7:00 p.m., Fargo, North Dakota, Ramada Plaza Suites and Conference Center, 1635 42nd Street Southwest
- Thursday, February 16, 2006, 7:00 p.m., Perham, Minnesota, Lakeside Golf Club, 2727 450th Street
- Friday, February 17, 2006, 1:00 p.m., Red Lake, Minnesota, Red Lake Community Center, 15041 Great Nation Drive, on Hwy 1 beside Seven Clans Casino
Please notify the Bureau of Reclamation 24 hours in advance if you have special needs for these hearings. Contact Patience Hurley at 701-250-4242 ext. 3301.
The Draft Environmental Impact Statement Red River Valley Water Supply Project is available for download from www.rrvwsp.com. For additional information or to request a hard copy, please contact Merri Mooridian, Communications Director, Garrison Diversion, 1-800-532-0074, email@example.com, or Patience Hurley, Reclamation, Public Involvement Specialist, at 701.250.4242 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
# # #
Reclamation is the largest wholesale water supplier in the United States, and the nation's second largest producer of hydroelectric power. Its facilities also provide substantial flood control, recreation, and fish and wildlife benefits. Visit our website at https://www.usbr.gov and follow us on Twitter @USBR.