Reclamation hosting Boca Dam media field event
Christie Kalkowski, 9169785100, firstname.lastname@example.org
For Release: May 10, 2019
TRUCKEE, Calif. – The Bureau of Reclamation will host a media field event at Boca Dam May 17 from 11 a.m. to noon. Reclamation and U.S. Forest Service officials will explain the ongoing upgrades taking place at the dam, outline safety measures for visitors and onsite employees and discuss recreation solutions for accommodating both construction and visitor access.
- Reclamation Construction Engineer Richard Welsh
- Reclamation Project Resident Engineer Kyle Hughes
- Acting Tahoe National Forest District Ranger Scott Conway
WHAT: Reclamation began modifying Boca Dam earlier this month in order to enable the dam to better resist the impacts of potential earthquakes. The project will temporarily stop during the 2019-2020 winter and end in October 2020.
WHERE: Boca Dam is located six miles northeast of Truckee.
VISUALS: Heavy equipment, such as dozers, excavators, loaders, and haul trucks will be on site.
BOCA DAM FAST FACTS:
- Height is 116 feet, length is 1,630 feet.
- Capacity of 40,000 acre-feet (1 acre-foot is the total amount of water that would cover 1 acre with 1-foot deep; think about the size of a football field or the amount of water a family of four uses annually).
- Regulates the Little Truckee River.
- Provides water for irrigation, recreation, fish and wildlife benefits, and municipal and industrial uses in Truckee Meadows.
- Owned by Reclamation.
- Operated by Washoe County Water Conservation District.
- Completed in 1939.
DRIVING DIRECTIONS: From Reno on I-80 W, take exit 194 for Hirschdale Road; turn left on Hirschdale Road; Hirschdale Road turns slightly right and becomes Stampede Meadows Road. From Sacramento on I-80 E, take exit 194 for Hirschdale Road; turn left on Hirschdale Road; Hirschdale Road turns slightly right and becomes Stampede Meadows Road.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Visit the project website at www.usbr.gov/mp/sod/projects/boca.
QUESTIONS: Direct project related questions to the Mid-Pacific Construction Office at 530-892-6262 (TTY 800-877-8339) or email@example.com.
# # #
Reclamation is the largest wholesale water supplier in the United States, and the nation's second largest producer of hydroelectric power. Its facilities also provide substantial flood control, recreation, and fish and wildlife benefits. Visit our website at https://www.usbr.gov and follow us on Twitter @USBR.