News Release Archive
Reclamation Announces Seasonal Changes to Park Hours and Seasonal Recreation Area Closures at New Melones Lake
Media Contact: Shane Hunt, 916-978-5100
For Release: September 04, 2015
SONORA, Calif. - The Bureau of Reclamation has scheduled annual recreation area closures at New Melones Lake from Thursday, Oct. 1, 2015, through Thursday, March 31, 2016. These annual closures allow Reclamation to perform necessary maintenance tasks and also allow for natural resource recovery.
- Closures in the Tuttletown Recreation Area as listed: Chamise and Manzanita Campgrounds and Oak Knoll Group Camp. The Tuttletown Boat Launch remains closed due to the low water level. All other locations in Tuttletown will remain open year-round.
- Closures in the Glory Hole Recreation Area as listed: Big Oak Campground, Ironhorse Campground sites 8-22, 45-59, and 70-89 and Osprey Point Day Use Area. The Angels Creek Boat Launch and parking lot remain closed due to the low water level. All other locations in Glory Hole remain open year-round.
- Beginning Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2015, gates for both recreation areas will be closed one hour earlier, at 10 p.m.
- Beginning Thursday, Oct. 15, 2015, through Thursday, March 31, 2016, gates for both recreation areas will be closed at 9 p.m.
- Beginning Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2015, the New Melones Lake Visitor Center & Museum will be open Thursday through Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., as staffing allows, and closed on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
Visitors should be aware that accessing the shoreline by foot can be difficult in areas due to the low water level. The water level at the lake fluctuates frequently, and Reclamation encourages all boaters to use caution while navigating the lake. Some existing and new hazards may still emerge as the lake’s surface elevation gradually drops due to continued drought conditions.
The New Melones Administration Office is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and is located at 6850 Studhorse Flat Road, Sonora, CA 95370. For additional information on activities, directions, pet restrictions or other questions, please call the New Melones Visitor Center & Museum at 209-536-9543 or the Administration Office at 209-536-9094, ext. 0 (TTY 800-877-8339), or visit the New Melones Lake website at http://www.usbr.gov/mp/ccao/newmelones/index.html.
# # #
Reclamation is the largest wholesale water supplier in the United States, and the nation's second largest producer of hydroelectric power. Its facilities also provide substantial flood control, recreation, and fish and wildlife benefits. Visit our website at https://www.usbr.gov and follow us on Twitter @USBR.