The action office (Region, Area, and Project offices) is responsible for meeting the mandated Value Planning or Value Engineering requirements. You must identify projects, programs, systems, and products that require, or would benefit from, the Value Program studies and arrange for those studies. Contact your local Value Program Coordinator or the Value Program Manager.
In addition to the laws, regulations, and policies issued by higher authority, Reclamation uses guidance, forms, and training to carry out program activities more consistently and efficiently.
Guidance - The Reclamation Value Program Handbook defines roles and responsibilities within Reclamation for conduct of mandated Value Program activities, in compliance with OMB Circular A-131 and DOI's DM 369-1. See the handbook and other guidance documents we use:
- Reclamation Value Program Handbook, February 2008
- ASTM E1699, Standard Practice for Performing Value Analysis of Buildings and Building Systems
- Value Standard and Body of Knowledge, June 2007 (from SAVE International: The Value Methodology Society)
- The Federal Construction Council Technical Report No. 92, "Elements of an Effective Value Program," 1990
Forms - Reclamation has developed several forms (templates) to help interested and responsible personnel plan, conduct, and report on Value Program activities. The Value Program templates are:
- Value Study Requirements Preliminary Screening Table (pdf)
- Value Study Preparation Worksheet (Contact Questions and Checklist) (doc)
- Sample Template for "Accountability Report" (pdf)
- Generic Value Program Plan of Action (VPPA) Report Template (pdf)
- Generic Value Program Summary of Actions (VPSA) Report Template (pdf)
Training - Formal 40-hour Value Planning/Value Engineering training is readily available through several Certified Value Specialists (CVS). These practitioners are certified by SAVE International: The Value Methodology Society.
Reclamation also teaches several short (4, 8, 16, and 24 hour) classes on value techniques:
- Management Orientation - 4 to 8 hours of training/discussion on policies, management responsibilities and roles, and administering the Value Program to minimize costs and optimize benefits.
- Value Fundamentals - 16 hours of general training for staff who will be team members, and managers who want a better understanding of Value techniques, that do not aspire to team leading.
- Value Fundamentals Plus - 24 hours of general training for people who want to be team leaders. An additional 2-day course in facilitation and team leading techniques and apprenticing as an assistant team leader would be needed before becoming a team leader.
Please contact any Reclamation Value Program staff to learn more about these classes.