Jeff Davis County
PHANTOM LAKE SPRING ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE
National Register 5/10/1995
The Phantom Lake Spring site contains both prehistoric and historic components. Prehistoric surface remains include ring middens, bedrock mortars, hearths, and flaked and ground stone. The features suggest repeated use of the spring as a campsite possibly over thousands of years. Historic lime kilns appear to be associated with Fort Davis, the largest and most important of several forts between central Texas and El Paso along the southern transcontinental emigrant road. The fort was occupied between 1854 and 1891.