Western Colorado Area Office
Colorado River Storage Project
Navajo Unit Operation Meeting
April 28, 2015
Next Meeting: August 11th (1:00 pm) at Farmington Civic Center
This meeting was held in Farmington, New Mexico at the Civic Center. The meeting minutes, as mailed, as well as the meeting handouts are available in the archives. Meeting attendance is shown on the archived minutes.
The purpose of these meetings, held annually in January, April, and August, is to gather input for determining upcoming operations for Navajo Reservoir. This input is used in Reclamation’s development of an overall 24-month study for operation of Reclamation projects in the Upper Colorado River Basin, which includes plans for Glen Canyon, Flaming Gorge, Aspinall Unit and Navajo. Input from individuals, organizations, and agencies along with other factors such as weather, water rights, endangered species requirements, flood control, hydro power, recreation, fish and wildlife management, and reservoir levels, will be considered in the development of these reservoir operation plans. In addition, the meetings are used to coordinate activities and exchange information among agencies, water users, and other interested parties concerning the San Juan River and Navajo Reservoir.
Full meeting Minutes and the Presentation is available below in the Archives in PDF form.
- Precipitation has been below average for most of the winter and into spring in the San Juan River Basin.
- Most Probable April–July Inflow Forecast is 38% of average.
- New methodology for determining spring peak releases is being implemented this water year with the goal of reducing shortage risk.
- There will be no spring peak release for 2015.
- Reclamation will continue to follow the ROD, and release the minimum necessary to maintain the target base flows downstream in the critical habitat reach.
- Shortage is not currently forecasted but preventative measures are being taken to reduce the risk of a shortage developing.
- Downstream flows in the San Juan River will likely be below average for the spring and summer 2015.
- Under Most Probable operational forecast from mid-April, Navajo will reach a minimum reservoir elevation of 6039 ft over the winter of 2016.
The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, August 11th at 1:00pm at the Farmington Civic Center, Farmington, New Mexico (200 West Arrington Street).
Meeting Minutes (Portable Document Format (PDF)): View these minutes as mailed (includes attendance list)
Email comments/inquires to: WestColoAreaOffice@usbr.gov