Water Conservation Ordinances
The city of El Paso TX. Water Conservation Ordinance first enacted in 1991 mandates to all customers who use water from the Pubalic Service Board to reduce use and eliminate waste. The ordinance for Las Cruces NM is very similar to El Paso's. In Cuidad Juárez Chih., the ordinance is less severe and the violations are not considered Class C misdemeanors. Basically, the ordinances establish the following:
- Residential and commercial landscape watering, in El Paso and Las Cruces, is limited to three days a week. EVEN number addresses may water on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. ODD number addresses may water on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.
- There is no residential landscape watering on Monday.
- Industrial properties, parks, golf courses, school and cemeteries may be permitted only on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- From April 1 through September 30, outdoor watering is allowed only before 10:00 a.m. or after 6:00 p.m.
- In Ciudad Juárez, irrigation is permitted before 7:00 A.M. and after 7:00 P.M. There are no day restrictions.
- Additional watering may be allowed for the establishment of new landscapes or for the application of chemicals. A permit issued by the water utilities is required.
- In Las Cruces NM., it is prohibited to allow irrigation water to pond due to excess irrigation.
- Non-commercial car washing is allowed only with a bucket and/or hand held hose. The hose must have a shut off valve.
- Water spraying or flowing into streets or right-of-way is prohibited.
- Leaks must be repaired within five working days after notification.
- Washing of sidewalks, driveways, patios, and other non-porous surfaces with a hose is prohibited except to eliminate dangerous conditions.
- Violations to these ordinance are considered misdemeanors punishable by a fine.