Bureau of Reclamation Banner

Partnership Agreements

Diagram of how industry and government work togetherTechnology Transfer enables Federal agencies, the private sector, and other non-Federal entities to join forces so that:

Reclamation may use one or more technology transfer agreements:

Please contact the Technology Transfer Staff to discuss partnership interests and determine which type of agreement is appropriate for partnering.

Cooperative Research and Development Agreements

Under Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADA), non-Federal cooperating entities can seek to further develop and commercialize Reclamation's technology, merge Reclamation's technology with the non-Federal entity's technology, or jointly discover and develop a new technology. CRADAs provide the collaborator the first right to negotiate an exclusive license to inventions made under a CRADA and provide confidentiality for information generated under a CRADA for up to five years. The collaborator can provide the resources (funds, personnel, equipment, or materials) for developing and commercializing a new product, process, or service. Reclamation can provide similar resources or other in-kind resources, but can't provide funding. Reclamation will enter into a CRADA when the objective relates to its mission in water and power deliveries.

Facility Use/Service Agreement

A Facility Use/Service Agreement (FUA or FUSA) allows collaborators to use specialized Government facilities, equipment, and/or capabilities that are not readily available from the private sector.

License Agreement

A License Agreement (LA) is an agreement between the owner of a patent or other intellectual property and another party interested in using the owned property or protected invention. Licenses may be granted to a non-federal entity for the right to practice, make, and/or sell a patented invention or other intellectual property owned by the federal laboratory. Partners interested in licensing Reclamation's inventions can start by obtaining a license application from a Technology Transfer Staff.

Material Transfer Agreement

A Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) allows for the exchange of a quantity of a unique material between Reclamation and another party for research or commercial testing. It does not transfer title to the material and, at the conclusion of time limited use, the material is either returned or destroyed. The MTA requires that the recipient abide by all applicable Federal standards, including those for handling biological, radiological, and other hazardous materials.

Transfer of Material Cooperative Research and Development Agreement

A Transfer of Material Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (MTA- CRADA) allows Reclamation and its researchers to provide, receive, or exchange a quantity of unique material to a non-Federal party and exchange limited technical or scientific expertise to accomplish a mutual objective with or without reimbursement. Intellectual property may be anticipated. The collaboration must have a mission value to the Federal laboratory and some technical or commercial significance for the collaborator.

This information was last updated on May 21, 2015
Contact the Research and Development Office with questions or comments about this page