Hungry Horse Dam History

200,000 cubic yards of concrete poured

Hungry Horse Dam received its name from two freight horses (Tex and Jerry) working in the Flathead River's South Fork area. They wandered away from their logging shed during the severe winter of 1900-01.

After struggling for a month in deep snow, they were found so starved and weak that care and feeding were needed to nurse them back to health. Stunned loggers nicknamed the gaunt survivors the "Mighty Hungry Horses". Jerry later pulled a fire wagon in Kalispell and Tex did similar duty on a wagon for the Kalispell Mercantile Company.

Related Links
Project History PDF 48 kb
Project Brochure PDF 1.92 mb
Reclamation Photo Database

Please click on the thumbnail for a high resolution photo

Dennis Philmon
(406) 387-5241 x 313

Hungry Horse Field Office
PO Box 190130
Hungry Horse, MT 59919-0130

Last Updated: 7/6/15