Training Tips from the Technical Communications Team
To get the most out of your limited training budget, plan ahead. Before deciding what training to go to:
Identify your learning goals. Ask yourself:
- What do I want out of my training experience?
- What will help me do my job?
- Why am I investing the time and money? How will you use this information?
Ensure the training program meets your needs. Share your goals with training officers and representatives of the training company. Ask:
- Will this course will meet my needs?
- What will this knowledge help me do on the job?
- How can I use that knowledge? Who can help me use it? How?
Prepare. Read recommended literature ahead of time, if possible. Check out their website. Pinpoint questions you want to ask.
During the training, the more you can focus on what is going on, the more you will retain--and use--later:
- Go with an open mind.
- Leave your office at your office
- Participate fully
- Ask questions
- Record valuable ideas
After the course, keep using the material. Strategize by asking:
- What are the key sections/steps I need to take:
- What can I do to make this training more interesting and fun?
- How will I follow up?
Next, act on what you have learned:
- Choose one idea you like and put it into practice right away
- Share what you've learned
- Thank those who have supported your attendance and professional development
Call us for all your communication needs:
View our recent work
| Posters | Meetings | Brochures |Newsletters |Environmental and planning documents |Technical reports | Manuals | Training materials | Web design | CD and PDF Creation