Technical Service Center
Water Treatment Group
Water Chemistry Analysis for Water Conveyance, Storage, and Desalination Projects
Understanding the chemical and physical properties of water being conveyed, stored or treated is essential for designing systems or appurtenant equipment. This site presents (1) a spreadsheet tool that can be used to analyze the chemical composition of a water source and (2) an accompanying guidebook describing basic principles of water chemistry that are necessary to make use of the spreadsheet.
The Chemical Analysis Spreadsheet is used for the following:
- To identify whether the water analysis is satisfactory in terms of ion balance
- To indicate the probability of aggressive attack of water on adjacent metal surfaces or the generation of scaling layers on adjacent surfaces
- To characterize the likelihood of scale formation from sparingly soluble salts
- To calculate the values of the most commonly used calcium carbonate scaling potential indices
The results of the spreadsheet can be used to:
- Identify whether new or additional water quality analysis should be conducted; and
- Determine whether pH adjustment or anti-scalant addition is needed to reduce the likelihood of scaling or corrosion of pipes and equipment.Reclamation water treatment.
Download the Chemical Analysis Spreadsheet (22-kb XLSX file)
Download the Users' Guide for the Chemical Analysis Spreadsheet (280-kb PDF file)