Technical Service Center, Infrastructure Services
Mechanical Equipment Group, 86-68410
Dave Hulse (DHulse@usbr.gov)
(303) 445-6469 FAX
Bureau of Reclamation
P.O. Box 25007, 86-68410
Denver, CO 80225
We provide engineering services for mechanical equipment and systems related to new and existing dams, powerplants, pumping plants, fish handling facilities, water conveyance structures, and other building facilities. We also provide factory inspection and equipment installation expertise; operation and maintenance support, finite element studies and produce technical manuals and standard operating procedures (SOP).
Systems and equipment that the Mechanical Equipment Group designs and services include:
- Compressed air, cooling water, service water, oil lubrication, fire suppression, gravity drainage, heating, ventilating, air conditioning and building plumbing systems.
- Elevators, cranes and hoists
- Trash racks, trashrakes, conveyors, and traveling water screens
- Fish and moss screens and fish handling equipment
- Water temperature control devices and selective withdrawal systems
- Water flow meters and temperature sensors
- Stoplogs, draft tube gates, clam shell gates and bulkhead gates
- Machine tools
Mechanical operation and maintenance (O&M) support and program services are provided in coordination with the Power Resources Office. These include Facilities Instructions, Standards, and Techniques (FIST) volumes, Power Equipment Bulletins (PEB’s), power O&M reviews and incident investigation, technical advice and assistance, training, unit alignment and balancing. Mechanical speed governor adjustment, unit vibration testing and analysis, welding procedure analysis, penstock inspection program management, penstock guard gate an valve testing program management, pressure vessel inspection, and underwater inspection services using a remote-controlled vehicle.