Technical Service Center, Infrastructure Services
Power System Analysis and Controls Group (86-68440)
Power System Studies and Protection Team
Team Leader: Shawn Patterson
This team provides power system modeling, protective relaying recommendations and settings, and support for Reclamation's Western Electricity Coordinating Council power reliability requirements.
We provide the following technical services to field O&M staff:
- Power System Modeling (e.g., arc-flash analysis, fault studies, circuit transient, synchronous stability, harmonic system performance, insulation coordination, power flow studies, and facility design rating reviews)
- Protective relaying recommendations, settings, and commissioning.
- Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems design and Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) systems.
- Replacement recommendations for power transformers, circuit breakers, and surge arresters.
- Support for Reclamation's Western Electricity Coordinating Council power reliability requirements.
This team works on many systems including: steady-state and dynamic modeling for power systems, short circuit analysis, arc-flash analysis, protective relaying and instrumentation, and plant modernization.