Technical Service Center, Infrastructure Services
Hydropower Technical Services Group
Electrical Power Program Services Team
Team Leader: Gary Cawthorne
This team provides general electrical O&M support to field offices, specialized technical assistance to complement field expertise, and technical support to the Reclamation power program.
We provide the following technical services to field O&M staff:
- Develop and publish (Facilities Instructions, Standards, and Techniques) FIST volumes and Power Equipment Bulletins (PEBs).
- Conduct on-site reviews under the Power Review of O&M Program
- Perform Root Cause Analysis of major plant incidents
- Conduct thermographic (infrared) scanning and analysis of electrical and mechanical equipment
- Conduct transformer diagnostic inspection and testing
- Transformer and generator TPECs, factory inspections, field inspections
- Provide advice and assistance on operation and maintenance of electrical equipment
- Doble testing and analysis and generator & cable inspection and testing
- Conduct training on electrical systems and equipment
- Interpret national and international electrical standards
- Analysis of insulating oil dissolved-gas testing and high-voltage test results
- Formal research on various power related equipment, systems, and techniques
Further, this Team supports Reclamation's power program through assistance to the Power Resources Office in the areas of policy development and review, power program management, security planning, maintenance management, and training development.
Also, the Team develops and implements new programs that assist the power program including: machine condition monitoring, Hazardous Energy Control, plant life extension and asset management, and Power O&M Workshop management.