Dam Breach, Dam Failure, and Flooding Links
Dam Breach Modeling, Research, and Case Histories
- Report DSO-98-004: Prediction of Embankment Dam Breach Parameters - A Literature Review and Needs Assessment (1998) - This comprehensive report examines existing empirical procedures and numerical models used to predict embankment dam breach parameters, reviews new technologies relevant to dam breaches, and outlines a program for development of an improved numerical model for the simulation of embankment dam breach events. The report presents a database with information on 108 previously and newly documented dam failure case studies.
- Download the database presented in report DSO-98-004, described in the paragraph above.
- IMPACT Project
- FloodSite Project
Dam Safety Organizations
- The Bureau of Reclamation's Dam Safety Program performs site evaluations to identify potential safety deficiencies on both Reclamation dams and dams belonging to other bureaus of the Department of the Interior.
- Association of State Dam Safety Officials - ASDSO
- U.S. Society on Dams (USA member of ICOLD) - USSD
Software and Other Resources
- The National Performance of Dams Program (Stanford University) is a national (U.S.) effort to create an information resource on the performance of dams. This site facilitates the retrieval, archival, and dissemination of information on the performance of dams in the United States, via the NPDP program.
- National Inventory of Dams - Information on approximately 76,000 U.S. dams.
Last reviewed: 03/10/10