BUREAU OF RECLAMATION
TECHNICAL SERVICE CENTER
Model Makers: Jason Black, Marty Poos, Jimmy Hastings
RoleThe Laboratory Shops construct and fabricate custom-designed, specialized laboratory and field test equipment and instrumentation in support of Reclamation's technology development program in Water Resources, Environmental Resources, and Infrastructure. The shop constructs both functional scale hydraulic models used for site-specific problem solving and applied research, and small-scale architectural models for display purposes.
In addition, laboratory shop personnel provide shop services to other Reclamation entities in the Denver Office and in the field, such as demonstration models for the Environmental Education Program, emergency repairs, fabrication of devices for immediate program needs, shipping crates for test samples, test equipment, and other building maintenence support.
Capabilities of Our Craftsmen
- Carpentry utilizing wood, plastic, urethane, acrylic
- Patternmaking (plastic, wood)
- Machining (design and fabrication of test equipment and instrumentation)
- Welding (arc, helicarc, MIG, TIG, and oxygen/acetylene)
- Electrical (electrical and electronic control)
- A/C Equipment Mechanic (refrigeration trade)
- General Mechanic Maintenance (pipe fitting, fabrication and pneumatics)
Shop FacilitiesThe well-equipped carpenter and machine shops, located in Building 56, include CNC Router, CNC Mill, lathes, milling machines, drill presses, grinders, welders, sheet metal shear, sheet metal roller, sheet metal break, planers, jointers, saws, sanders, and numerous other tools. A special oven for forming plastic is available. A large environmentally-safe paint booth is available for use of epoxy resins, paints, and other applications. An adequate supply of electrical equipment, piping, valves, pumps, etc., are available for assembly as needed.
- Folsom Dam excavation - working architectural model
- Folsom Dam 1:17 model, spillway and outlet works construction
- Architectural Model of Folsom Dam
- Architectural Model of Casitas Dam
- Portable Water Measurement Demonstration Flume
Phone (303) 445-2162
Bureau of Reclamation
Last reviewed: 05/17/2012