Portable Water Measurement Display FlumeThe portable display flume demonstrates both open channel and closed pipe water measurement devices. This flume can be set up at schools, conferences, and exhibits to demonstrate flow measurement principles .
Photograph of portable water measurement demonstration flume with a long throated flume in the open channel and a acoustic flowmeter in the pipe section below.How the flume works---
- Water is supplied by a submersible pump in the supply tank. The water circulates through a clear tank at one end, then through the pipe and open channel sections where the flow measurement devices are demonstrated, and returns to the supply tank.
- Open channel devices include---
- Cipoletti weir, 90-degree V-notch weir, submerged rectangular orifice, contracted rectangular weir, supressed rectangular weir, vertical slide gate, and a custom designed long-throated flume.
- The closed pipe includes an end of pipe orifice. Other closed pipe devices such as propeller meters and acoustic flowmeters can also be demonstrated in the pipe section.
- The flow measurement devices can be inserted and removed from the open channel section while the model is running.
- A 200 gallon opaque plastic tank serves two purposes in the demonstration flume--
- The clear Plexiglass channels, pipe, and tanks that make up the model , plus flow measurement devices and miscellaneous equipment are disassembled and packed in the 2-ft wide- by 3-ft high- by 4-ft long tank for shipping. The entire model (packed in a padded cardboard box) may be shipped by freight or locally in a van or truck.
- When assembled the tank acts as the water reservoir and base for the recirculating demonstration model. The reservoir is filled with a garden hose and pumps out through the same hose when it is disassembled.
Return to Lab Facilities summary page
Last reviewed: 01/10/05