Hydraulic Laboratory Facilities and Capabilities
The Hydraulic Investigations and Laboratory Services Group maintains an indoor hydraulic laboratory with about 54,000 square feet of model floor space. A 240,000-gallon storage reservoir provides water for permanent and temporary testing facilities supplied through an automated flow delivery and measurement system. Major laboratory features include:
- State-of-the-art laboratory control and data acquisition systems
- Four 100-150 hp variable-speed pumps that deliver water into our perimeter pipe chase
- One low-head portable pump with approximately 25 cfs output capacity
- Several portable 10-30 hp pumps
- 250 hp high-head pump capable of delivering 1 cfs at up to 600 ft of head.
- Low ambient pressure chamber (vacuum tank) with dedicated 100 hp variable speed pump can operate at pressures as low as 0.1 atmospheres. Dimensions: 6 feet by 10 feet by 15 feet.
- Venturi meters in fixed delivery system from 3- to 14-inch diameter with flow measurement ranges from 0.1 cfs to 20 cfs
- 44,000 pound volumetric/weigh tank facility to calibrate the laboratory venturi meters and other measurement devices
- Tilting flume, 3 feet wide, 60 feet long, with slope variable from -2% to 8%.
- Glass walled flume, 8 feet high, 4 feet wide, and 80 feet long.
- Fully instrumented and automated 5-pool model canal system for demonstration, training, and research related to canal modernization and canal operations
- Transportable water measurement and gate control demonstration flume
- Density (temperature) stratified three-dimensional modeling capability
- Laser doppler velocimeter
- Particle image velocimetry system
- Closed conduit acoustic flowmeters
- Acoustic Doppler Velocity meters (ADVs, FlowTrackers)
- Acoustic Doppler Current Profilers
- Spectrum analyzers and high-speed digital tape recorders
- Video equipment, Hi-8 mm, 3/4 inch, Super VHS 1/2 inch camcorders and video editing equipment
- Centrifugal blower for studies using air as the working fluid
Water for laboratory models is recirculated from the storage reservoir through a 12-inch supply line located on the perimeter of the laboratory. The four large centrifugal pumps located in pits at the north and south end of the reservoir can operate singly, in series, or in parallel. Closed loop controllers regulate and control test flows. The laboratory venturi meters are calibrated and checked in place at regular intervals using the volumetric/weight tank facility.
Last reviewed: 05/28/09