Reclamation and the State of North Dakota Release Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the Red River Valley Water Supply Project
Media Contact: Patience Hurley, (701) 250-4242 ext. 3107
Merri Mooridian, 1-800-532-0074
For Release: December 30, 2005
Red River Valley Water Supply ProjectThe U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Reclamation and the state of North Dakota, represented by the Garrison Diversion Conservancy District, announced today the release of the Draft Environmental Impact Statement Red River Valley Water Supply Project. The purpose of this draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) is to evaluate alternatives to meet the long term water needs of the Red River Valley in North Dakota and three cities in Minnesota. Of the eight evaluated alternatives, three would use surface water and groundwater sources in North Dakota and Minnesota, four would import treated water from the Missouri River, and one alternative evaluates the future of the Red River Valley if no project is built. Preliminary cost estimates range from $500 million to $2.52 billion.
The DEIS was prepared in accordance with the Dakota Water Resources Act of 2000 and the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 and is available for a 60-day review and comment period. Comments on the report should be sent to Red River Valley Water Supply Project, Dakotas Area Office, Bureau of Reclamation, P.O. Box 1017, Bismarck, N.D., 58502-1017. Comments should be postmarked by Tuesday, February 28, 2006.
The Draft Environmental Impact Statement Red River Valley Water Supply Project is available for download from www.rrvwsp.com. For additional information or to request a hard copy, please contact Merri Mooridian, Communications Director, Garrison Diversion, 1-800-532-0074, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Patience Hurley, Reclamation, Public Involvement Specialist, at 701.250.4242 or email@example.com.
Seven public hearings will be held in 2006 regarding the DEIS. The public hearings will be held:
- Thursday, February 2, 2006, 7:00 p.m., Bismarck, North Dakota, Best Western Doublewood Inn, 1400 East Interchange Avenue
- Tuesday, February 7, 2006, 7:00 p.m., Grand Forks, North Dakota, Holiday Inn, 1210 North 43rd Street
- Wednesday, February 8, 2006, 7:00 p.m., Warroad, Minnesota, Warroad Public School Theatre, 510 Cedar Avenue
- Thursday, February 9, 2006, 7:00 p.m., Valley City, North Dakota, AmericInn, 280 Winter Show Road Southeast
- Wednesday, February 15, 2006, 7:00 p.m., Fargo, North Dakota, Ramada Plaza Suites and Conference Center, 1635 42nd Street Southwest
- Thursday, February 16, 2006, 7:00 p.m., Perham, Minnesota, Lakeside Golf Club, 2727 450th Street
- Friday, February 17, 2006, 1:00 p.m., Red Lake, Minnesota, Red Lake Community Center, 15041 Great Nation Drive, on Hwy 1 beside Seven Clans Casino
# # #
Reclamation is the largest wholesale water supplier and the second largest producer of hydroelectric power in the United States, with operations and facilities in the 17 Western States. Its facilities also provide substantial flood control, recreation, and fish and wildlife benefits. Visit our website at www.usbr.gov and follow us on Twitter @USBR.