Draft EIS/EIR Released for the South Delta Improvements Program; Public Meetings and Hearings Scheduled
Media Contact: Jeffrey S. McCracken, 916-978-5100
For Release: November 10, 2005
The Bureau of Reclamation, the lead Federal agency under the National Environmental Policy Act, and the California Department of Water Resources (DWR), the lead State agency under the California Environmental Quality Act, have made available for public review and comment the Draft Environmental Impact Statement/Environmental Impact Report (EIS/EIR) on the proposed South Delta Improvements Program (SDIP). On November 10, 2005, the Notice of Completion went to the California State Clearinghouse and the Notice of Availability was published in the Federal Register.
Five public meetings will be held in 2005 to provide information on the Draft EIS/EIR. The meetings will be held:
- Sacramento - Tuesday, December 6, 1:30-3:30 p.m., Resources Agency Auditorium, 1416 Ninth Street
- Stockton - Wednesday, December 7, 7-9 p.m., American Legion Post 803, 3110 West Lane
- Oakland - Thursday, December 8, 7-9 p.m., CSU East Bay Oakland Conference Center, 1000 Broadway
- Visalia - Tuesday, December 13, 7-9 p.m., Mill Creek Auditorium, 3100 West Main
- Los Angeles - Wednesday, December 14, 1-3 p.m., Junipero Serra State Bldg., 320 W. Fourth St., Carmel Rm 225
Three public hearings will be held in 2006 n the Draft EIS/EIR. The hearings will be held:
- Sacramento - Wednesday, January 18, 1-4 p.m., CALFED, Bay Delta Room, 5th Floor, 650 Capitol Mall
- Los Angeles - Tuesday, January 24, 1-3 p.m., Junipero Serra State Bldg, 320 W. Fourth St., Carmel Rm 225
- Stockton - Wednesday, January 25, 1-4 p.m., Department of General Services Auditorium, 31 East Channel St.
The Draft EIS/EIR is available on Reclamation's website at http://www.usbr.gov/mp/nepa and DWR's website at http://sdip.water.ca.gov. The documents may also be viewed at the Bureau of Reclamation, Mid-Pacific Regional Office, 2800 Cottage Way, Library, Rm W-1825, Sacramento, CA; Sacramento Public Library, 828 I Street; Tracy Branch Library, 20 E. Eaton Avenue; and Lathrop Branch Library, 15461 Seventh Street.
Written comments on the Draft EIS/EIR are due by close of business on Tuesday, February 7, 2006, to Ms. Sharon McHale, Bureau of Reclamation, 2800 Cottage Way, MP-700, Sacramento, CA 95825. For additional information on the SDIP, please contact Reclamation at 916-978-5060, e-mail email@example.com, or Mr. Paul Marshall, DWR, at 916-653-2118. If you encounter problems accessing the Draft EIS/EIR on Reclamation's website, please contact Ms. Lynnette Wirth at 916-978-5102.
# # #
Reclamation is the largest wholesale water supplier and the second largest producer of hydroelectric power in the United States, with operations and facilities in the 17 Western States. Its facilities also provide substantial flood control, recreation, and fish and wildlife benefits. Visit our website at www.usbr.gov and follow us on Twitter @USBR.