Senator Heinrich to Help Honor Reclamation Brackish Groundwater National Desalination Research Facility
Media Contact: Mary Carlson, 505-462-3576
For Release: July 11, 2013
- Who: Bureau of Reclamation, Sen. Martin Heinrich, D-N.M., Department of Energy
- What: Presentation of Better Buildings Federal Award
- When: Friday, July 12, 2013 at 10 a.m.
- Where: Alamogordo: Brackish Groundwater National Desalination Research Facility 500 Lavelle Road, Alamogordo, New Mexico
- Why: Sen. Heinrich to join Dr. Timothy Unruh from Department of Energy to present the Facility with the 2012 Better Buildings Federal Award
- How: Contact Mary Carlson at (505) 462-3576 with any questions
** Note: Open toed and high heeled shoes are not allowed in the test area of the facility.
Background: The Bureau of Reclamation is pleased to host both Sen. Heinrich and Dr. Unruh at our Brackish Groundwater National Desalination Research Facility. The facility was recently selected for the U.S. Department of Energy’s first annual Better Buildings Federal Award for its extreme energy savings. The facility’s energy use was reduced by 53.6 percent over a year long period. Dr. Unruh and Sen. Heinrich will make the presentation to Manager Randy Shaw. They will also participate in a private tour of the facility earlier in the day and will be available for media interviews about that.
# # #
Reclamation is the largest wholesale water supplier and the second largest producer of hydroelectric power in the United States, with operations and facilities in the 17 Western States. Its facilities also provide substantial flood control, recreation, and fish and wildlife benefits. Visit our website at www.usbr.gov and follow us on Twitter @USBR.