Reclamation to Require Permits for Private Business Sales on Federal Land

Media Contact: John Redding, (208) 378-5212
Lynne Brougher, (509) 633-9503

For Release: October 13, 2009

The Bureau of Reclamation will require permits of individuals wanting to conduct private business transactions on federal land at the Grand Coulee Project in eastern Washington, beginning November 1.

Individuals attempting to sell vehicles, boats, produce or other private small operations ventures will need to obtain a permit before setting up sales ventures on the corner of Highway 155 and Federal Way in Grand Coulee, Wash.

"For many years people have been selling goods on this corner without a permit and we need to establish clear guidelines since this is on federally owned land," said David Murillo, Grand Coulee Project manager. "Exclusive use of public lands for private monetary gain is prohibited by federal regulations, unless permission is given by the government."

The cost for the permit covers the application fee, administrative fees and the use of government land. Large companies that compete for concession operations under an open bidding process will not be able to take advantage of this permitting process.

By next spring, the vending area will be clearly defined by landscaping which will include the addition of posts and gates to allow entry for people with permits. A short-term parking area will also be designed to ensure roadway safety for those entering or exiting the area.

Individual permits will cost $300 and be valid for 30 days.

For more information about this permitting process, contact Reclamation's Ephrata Field Office at (509) 754-0221.

# # #

Reclamation is the largest wholesale water supplier and the second largest producer of hydroelectric power in the United States, with operations and facilities in the 17 Western States. Its facilities also provide substantial flood control, recreation, and fish and wildlife benefits. Visit our website at and follow us on Twitter @USBR.