Released On: April 30, 2008
The Bureau of Reclamation announces changes to its existing fee program for New Melones Lake in order to implement the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (REA), Public Law 108-447, Title VIII. The REA authorizes Reclamation to participate in a fee collection and retention program and issue special recreation use permits. Under REA, New Melones Lake is the first Reclamation-managed recreation area authorized to use a portion of the revenues collected to enhance recreation facilities and services. Prior to REA, all revenues collected at New Melones went to the Federal Treasury. New Melones is implementing changes to its fee program in two phases. A public comment period for Phase I ended on April 4, 2008. Effective May 1, 2008, the following fees apply:
- Camping fees of $18 for standard campsites and $14 for walk-in campsites.
- RV dump station fees of $8 for registered campers and $15 for other users.
- Interagency Senior Passes for individuals ages 62 and older are $10 and provide a 50-percent discount on expanded amenity fees which include individual camping and RV dump station fees.
- Interagency Access Passes for individuals with permanent disabilities are free of charge and provide a 50-percent discount on expanded amenity fees which include individual camping and RV dump station fees.
- Previously issued Golden Age/Golden Access passes will continue to be honored
A summary of the public comments that were received and Reclamation's decision on the Phase I fees is available on the New Melones website at http://www.usbr.gov/mp/ccao/field_offices/new_melones/REA/index.html.
Reclamation is currently seeking public input on the proposed Phase II fees as well as ideas on how New Melones should use the revenues generated. The proposed Phase II fees and potential use of fee revenues may be viewed in the Initial Plan for Phased Implementation of the 2005 Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (Draft) on the New Melones website at http://www.usbr.gov/mp/ccao/field_offices/new_melones/REA/index.html. The Phase II comment period closes on Friday, June 6, 2008. Phase II implementation is scheduled to begin on Wednesday, October 1, 2008.
For additional information, please contact Mr. Jeff Laird, New Melones, at 209-536-9094, extension 229, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
DOI | Recreation.gov | USA.gov
Stay in touch with Reclamation: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Flickr | Tumblr | Instagram | RSS | Multimedia