Delta Cross Channel Gates
The Delta Cross Channel
Gates are operated in accordance with State Water Resources Control Board
Decision 1641 as follows:
- From November 1 through January 31. Gates will be closed for a
total of up to 45 days for fisheries protection as requested by the US
Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS), National Marine Fisheries Service
(NMFS), and Department of Fish & Game (DFG). Gates may be closed on
very short notice and may be closed on weekends.
- From February 1 through May 20. Gates will be closed.
- From May 21 through June 15. Gates will be closed for a total of
14 days for fisheries protection as requested by the USFWS, NMFS, and
DFG. Gates may be closed on very short notice. Whenever possible, gates
will be open on the weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and the weekday holiday
on Memorial Day weekend, but this cannot be guaranteed.
- From June 16 through October 31. Gates will generally be open, but this cannot be guaranteed. Hydrodynamic
and fishery experiments have been conducted in the past and may continue in
the future. These often require intermittent
- High flows on the Sacramento River, unforeseen fishery protection
actions or water quality compliance in the Delta may necessitate a short
USBR standing operation procedures call
for gate closure when flow on the Sacramento River reaches the 20,000 to 25,000
Gate opening and closing times are
approximate, since an operator must travel to the site to perform the change.
The opening and closing of the gates generally takes 30 minutes to one hour.
Return to CVO