Bureau of Reclamation Mid-Pacific Region Banner
Reclamation Home             Reclamation Offices             Newsroom             Library            Projects & Facilities

Fees, Passes and Permits

Recreation Fees and Passes

The Bureau of Reclamation offers many activities at New Melones Lake such as boating, camping, fishing, hiking, and bicycling. Visitors are required to pay recreation use fees for the amenities associated with these opportunities in the Glory Hole and Tuttletown Recreation Areas. Federal Interagency Recreation Passes are available for use at New Melones Lake and other Federal recreation sites. Reclamation also sells site-specific annual passes for use at New Melones. These recreation use fees are authorized by the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act.

Use Permits

Special Event or Right-of-Use Permits are required for activities that provide a benefit to an individual, group, organization, agency or commercial business rather than the public at large. Special events usually require some degree of management from Reclamation staff in order to protect park resources and the public interest. Some examples of special events that may require a Special Event permit are fishing tournaments, sporting events, and launching and retrieving a houseboat. Right-of-Use permits may be required for activities such as large special events, utility crossings, commercial filming and photography, guide services, whitewater rafting or any other use deemed appropriate by Reclamation. (Please contact New Melones Office for more information about Special Use or Right of Use Permits at 209-536-9094)

Your Fee Dollars At Work!

The majority of proceeds from recreation use fees and passes stay at New Melones to be used for the enhancement of recreation facilities and services and other public benefits.


Non-interactive green spacer

For assistance or additional information about this website, please contact Public Affairs
Bureau of Reclamation, Mid-Pacific Region
2800 Cottage Way, Sacramento CA  95825-1898
Main 916-978-5100   |   FAX 916-978-5114   |   TTY 916-978-5608
Reclamation Officials' Telephone Number

Last update: February 18, 2015

Interactive link MP Region map - Click to learn more about the MP Region