Shasta Dam Fish Passage Evaluation
The Shasta Dam Fish Passage Evaluation (SDFPE) is an effort to evaluate the feasibility of reintroducing Chinook salmon and steelhead to tributaries above Shasta Lake. A Fish Passage Pilot Implementation Plan is being developed with the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the U.S. Forest Service, the California Department of Water Resources, the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, the California State Water Board, and the University of California..
The SDFPE is part of Reclamation’s response to the June 4, 2009, Biological Opinion (BO) and Conference Opinion on the Long-Term Operation of the Central Valley Project (CVP) and State Water Project (SWP) by NMFS.
The NMFS BO concluded that, as proposed, CVP and SWP operations were likely to jeopardize the continued existence of four federally- listed anadromous fish species: Sacramento River winter-run Chinook salmon, Central Valley spring-run Chinook salmon, California Central Valley steelhead, and the Southern distinct population segment of the North American green sturgeon. The BO set forth a Reasonable and Prudent Alternative (RPA) that allows continued operation of the CVP and SWP in compliance with the federal Endangered Species Act (ESA).
The NMFS RPA includes a Fish Passage Program (Action V) to evaluate the reintroduction of winter-run and spring-run Chinook salmon and steelhead. Action V of the RPA applies to three dams operated by Reclamation: Shasta, Folsom, and New Melones. The near-term goal for Action V is to increase the geographic distribution and abundance of the listed fish. The long-term goal is to increase abundance, productivity, and spatial distribution, and to improve the life history, health, and genetic diversity of the target species.
Interagency Fish Passage Steering Committee
- Annual Report 2014 - New
- Annual Report 2013 - New
- Annual Report 2010
- Annual Report Presentation 2010
- Annual Report 2011
- Attachment A - Landowner and Stakeholder Analysis
- Attachment B - Shasta Dam Fish Passage Evaluation Questions for Interviews with Stakeholders and Landowners
- Attachment C - Shasta Dam Fish Passage Evaluation Interview Transcripts
Landowner and Stakeholder Workshop
6-8 p.m., August 27, 2013
- Press Release
- Meeting Agenda
- Presentation: Study Background, Regulatory Requirement and Permitting Process (PDF, 1MB)
- Presentation: Introduction of the Shasta Dam Fish Passage Evaluation and Pilot Implementation Plan (PDF, 3MB)
- Presentation: Habitat Studies (PDF, 3MB)
- Workshop Summary
Habitat Assessment Framework - December 2013
- Habitat Assessment Framework
- Appendix A - Spawning Habitat Criteria Review
- Appendix B - Bibliography of Habitat Criteria
- Appendix C - Bibliography of Existing Habitat Information
- Appendix D - Sources of Existing Habitat-Related Data