Lower Colorado Region Resources Management Office
The Lower Colorado Region's Resources Management Office provides services related to Reclamation's environmental planning and compliance activities, land-use management, recreation development, and long-term planning programs. The office staff includes biologists, environmental protection specialists, recreation planners, archaeologists and other professionals who work collaboratively to manage environmental programs on the lower Colorado River.
The office's environmental compliance group provides environmental oversight for Reclamation programs in the Lower Colorado River Basin. It specifically:
- oversees the Region's environmental, cultural, and hazardous material management programs and policies to ensure compliance with associated laws and regulations on Reclamation-managed lands (see lists of environmental compliance/invasive species , cultural resource and hazardous materials laws);
- determines National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) compliance activity requirements for a variety of projects and provides compliance assistance upon request.
- manages Endangered Species Act (ESA) compliance activities and biological resources;
- provides environmental awareness, education and outreach programs to regional communities and organizations;
- provides historic preservation expertise to Reclamation offices and partners;
- provides technical and regulatory expertise for air and water quality, emergency response, hazardous waste disposal, and occupational safety and health programs;
- enhances the Region's sustainability, recycling, and energy management goals and objectives through use of a comprehensive
Environmental Management System to ensure effective environmental stewardship; and
- assesses and documents environmental, cultural, and hazardous material impacts on Reclamation lands, consults with state and Federal regulatory agencies, and prepares associated reports and documents.
The Resources Management Office also manages activities on Reclamation-withdrawn lands such as lands around the Salton Sea (those set aside for Reclamation project purposes) including use authorizations, recreation development and administration, trespass abatement, inventory, universal accessibility, and official records management. The office provides recreation and land use planning assistance and program coordination, and assistance in acquiring lands or interests in lands for project or resource management use.
Other activities include providing:
- oversight of water reclamation and reuse studies, and
For more information about these activities, contact Office Chief Valerie Simon at email@example.com or at 702-293-8227.