Regional Employment Opportunities with the Bureau of ReclamationThank you for your interest in employment with the Bureau of Reclamation, the federal agency that manages, develops and protects the water resources of the American West.
Here in the Lower Colorado Region, we manage the last 688 miles of the the Colorado River within the United States and administer programs in parts of five states that contribute water to or draw water from the Colorado River including southern California; southern Nevada; the southwest corner of Utah; most of Arizona; and part of west-central New Mexico.
Our exciting job opportunities cover a wide range of specialties -- hydropower plant operators, administrative assistants, engineers, writers/editors, tour guides, hydraulic and civil engineers, information management specialists, biologists -- and more! From high school to graduate school, we also have student jobs that offer many benefits for participants - read on for more information...
Our offices are located in major metropolitan areas throughout the Southwest. They include:
Near Las Vegas, Nevada:
- The Regional Office - the headquarters for the entire Region
- Lower Colorado Dams Office - manages and operates the Hoover Dam Visitor Center, and Hoover, Davis, and Parker Dams on the Colorado River (other office locations near Laughlin, Nevada, and Lake Havasu City, Arizona)
In Phoenix and Tucson,
- Phoenix Area Office - responsible for ensuring Reclamation-constructed projects, now operated by other entities - the Central Arizona Project, Salt River Project, and others - provide multiple benefits for Arizona's citizens, to help the state, its citizens and its Indian Tribes address water and related resource management needs.
In Yuma, Arizona:
- Yuma Area Office - responsible for operations of the Yuma Desalting Plant, one of the world's largest reverse osmosis plants, and maintenance of the Colorado River from Davis Dam to the Southern International Boundary with Mexico (other office location in Ehrenberg, California).
In Temecula, California:
- Southern California Area Office - responsible for water conservation, reclamation and reuse projects throughout southern California that enhance water management practices in metropolitan areas.
Special Appointing Authorities for Veterans
Reclamation honors special hiring authorities designed for veterans. Special hiring authorities supporting our veterans include the Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA), Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) of 1998, as amended, and 30% or More Disabled Veteran.Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA)
An excepted authority that can appoint eligible veterans without competition if a veteran meets the following:
An appointment under this authority may be at any grade level up to and including a GS-11 or equivalent in the excepted service. After two years of satisfactory service, the veteran is converted to a career or career-conditional appointment, as appropriate.30% or More Disabled Veteran
An appointment allows any veteran with a 30% or more service-connected disability to be given a noncompetitive temporary appointment of more than 60 days or a term appointment if the veteran meets the following:
There is no grade level limitation for this authority, but the appointee must meet all qualification requirements including any written test requirement. Conversion without a break of service, to a career or career-conditional appointment may be given at any time during the temporary or term appointment.Veterans Employment Opportunity Act of 1998 (VEOA)
A competitive service appointing authority that can only be used when filling permanent, competitive service positions. It allows veterans to apply to announcements under merit promotion procedures if it is outside of the workforce, if a veterans' latest discharge is issued under honorable conditions, AND must be either:
Hiring People with Disabilities
People with disabilities may be considered for employment with the Bureau of Reclamation non-competitively through the Excepted Service-Appointment of Persons with Disabilities.
How does the hiring authority work?
- The authority is designed to assist qualified individuals with disabilities to obtain employment consistent with their level of skills and abilities."Hir "Hiring
- If you meet the knowledge, skills and qualifications requirements of the job for which you are being considered, you may be offered an appointment without having to compete for the position.
How is a person with a disability defined?
- You may have a severe physical or mental disability and be certified for Federal employment by either a State Rehabilitation Agency or the Department of Veterans Affairs. The agency will provide necessary, reasonable accommodations to ensure people with disabilities may successfully perform the duties of the position for which hired.
The Bureau of Reclamation provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please notify us.
Student & Recent Graduates: Pathways Programs
Established under Executive Order 13562, the Pathways Program was developed to provide a clear path towards Federal internship opportunities for current students and recent graduates in the federal workforce. The Pathways Program consist of three parts; the Internship Program for current students; the Recent Graduates program; and the Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) Program.Internship Program
The Internship Program is for current students. This program is designed to provide students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions from high school to graduate level, with paid opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while still in school. The internship program replaces the Student Career Experience Program (SCEP) and the Student Temporary Experience Program (STEP).Recent Graduates Program
The Recent Graduates Program is for those who have recently completed a qualifying advance degree (e.g., masters or professional degree) and seek a dynamic, career development program with training and mentorship. To be eligible, applicants must apply within two years of degree or certificate completion (except for veterans precluded from doing so due to their military service obligation, who will have up to six years after degree completion to apply).Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) Program
The PMF program is a leadership program at the entry-level for advance degree candidates. It is designed for students who have completed within the past two years, a qualifying advanced degree (e.g., masters or professional degree). An individual may apply for the PMF Program more than once as long as he or she meets the eligibility criteria. However, if an individual becomes a Finalist and subsequently applies for the PMF Program during the next open announcement, the individual will forfeit his or her status as a Finalist. The PMF program is administered by the PMF office within Office of Personnel Management (OPM). OPM announces the opportunity to apply for the PMF Program.
Individuals interested in opportunities supported by the Pathways Programs should contact the office at: 1-877-887-2980 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Holidays: 10 with pay each year
- Vacation: 2 ½ weeks to start and you can accumulate up to 6 weeks of vacation time at the end of each year. Unused sick leave carries over from year to year, with no maximum limit.
- A premier retirement plan with an optional savings feature
- Numerous medical insurance plans
- Various life insurance options
- Flexible work schedules
- Incentive awards and recognition
- Long Term Care (LTC) Insurance
- Professional Development and Training Opportunities
- Career Development Program
- Leadership Development Program
- Possible Recruitment Incentives
- Possible Relocation Incentives
- Possible Student Loan Repayment
- Wellness Alternatives
How to Apply
All job vacancies are advertised on www.USAJobs.gov. To be considered for any position, including student opportunities, you must register and apply on-line. If you do not use the USAJobs Resume Builder, please ensure your resume contains the information provided in this "Recommended Resume Format".
Need more information about our opportunities or the application process? Come by our office on the corner of Nevada Highway and Park Street in Boulder City, Nevada, between 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. (Pacific Time) or contact us at:
Lower Colorado Regional Office
PO Box 61470
Boulder City, NV 89006
phone: (877) 887-2980; TDD (877) 357-2202
or email: email@example.com
The Bureau of Reclamation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For Telecommunications Relay Services (TRS) Dial: 711
Updated: August 2014