Required Safety Equipment
Each canoe needs to have the following equipment at time of launch:
- A paddle for each person on board with a minimum of 3 paddles. Larger groups need to insure that at least several extra paddles are spread through their group.
- A USCG approved type 1, 2 or 3 Personal Flotation Device worn by each person on board while the vessel is under way.
- 1 - 1/2 gallon bailing device per canoe. (Plastic jugs with handles and the bottom cut out are suitable.)
- 1 - whistle per craft for emergencies.
- 2 - lengths of 10 foot rope, 1 tied to each end of the craft.
- 1 - working flashlight per vessel (this is for safety and may not be used for night navigation). Paddle craft may not be operated between legal sunset and sunrise without approved navigational lights.
Optional Supplies That Are Strongly Suggested
- Dry bags for all equipment, which should be tied to the craft.
- 1 - gallon of water per person.
- Water proof matches.
- 1 - portable marine band radio per group for emergency use only.
- 1 - port-a-potty of sufficient size for the group and the length of the trip.
- 1 - First Aid Kit suitable for group size.
Last Reviewed: 9/17/2004