Lower Colorado Dams Office - This office has administrative control of Hoover Dam, Davis Dam and Parker Dam.
- Davis Dam - Information about Davis Dam
- Parker Dam - Information about Parker Dam
- Hoover Dam - Main entrance page for the Hoover Dam Web site.
About Us - A brief description of who we are.
Tour Information - The information that you need to plan your trip. Here is where you will find a description of the tour, costs, directions and more.
Crossing Hoover Dam: A Guide for Motorist - Not all vehicles are allowed to cross the dam. Review this document to avoid being turned back. (Adobe Acrobat file - 73 KB)
Frequently Asked Questions - Answers to the most asked questions.
Story of Hoover Dam - A series of articles that explain the history and some of the technical aspects of the dam. These articles offer a more in-depth explanation than the FAQ articles.
Essays - This group of essays that explains what Hoover Dam is, how it was built and its significance to the past, present and future.
- Artwork - One of the highlights for many of the people who visit Hoover Dam each year is the artwork they find.
- Cofferdams - Before the dam could be built the Colorado River had to be moved. This was accomplished with the aid of cofferdams.
- Concrete - Hoover Dam is concrete; and without concrete, this dam could not have been built.
- Fatalities - How many bodies are buried in Hoover Dam? This and other information is presented in this article.
- High Scalers - Before construction could begin on the dam, loose rock had to be removed from the canyon walls. Special men were required for the job, men called "high-scalers."
- Jet Flow Gate Test - A test of the jet flow gates was performed after their installation.
- Spillways - The Spillways help to protect the dam, and make sure that water never goes over the top.
- Tunnels - What do you do with the river when you want to build a dam? You divert it into tunnels.
- Wages - A comparison chart of prevailing wages at the time of construction.
- What is biggest? - What is the biggest dam? It depends on what you are measuring.
- Workforce - A table showing the origins of the people who built
Articles from the Past - Many articles have been written about Hoover Dam. Here we will try to assemble a few of the better ones to give you not only technical data about the dam, but an appreciation of how people have been impressed with it throughout its history.
- Chronology - A list of important events and dates in the history of Hoover Dam and the surrounding area.
- The Grand Dam - Reproduction of an article written in 1995 by Julian Rhinehart, dealing with the art and beauty of Hoover Dam.
- Dog on a Catwalk - This is an article that was written by an unknown Hoover Dam Guide many years ago.
- Fortune Magazine - A September 1933 article on the progress of construction on the dam.
- What's In A Name? - The story of how Hoover Dam got its name.
- Herbert Hoover and the Colorado River - Information about Herbert Hoover, 31st President of the United States.
- Sound Bytes - Short history articles produced by the local Public Radio Station.
Photograph Gallery - Historic and modern photographs of the dam.
- Dam Views - modern views of the dam.
- Power Plant - views of the generators and other equipment.
- Historic Views - views from the period of construction.
- Old Post Cards - a collection of old post cards.
Education Information - Learning Packet for use in the classroom. Also, information about scheduling a school group trip to Hoover Dam.
- Learning Packet (.pdf)
- Learning Packet (.html)
- Guidelines for Group Tour
- Application Form (Acrobat File - 249 KB)
- Kids Facts
Foreign Language Information - Information for speakers of German or Spanish.
Paddle Craft and Rafting Tours - There is a site just below the Hoover Dam where paddle craft such as, canoes, kayaks or personal rafts can be launched for an enjoyable trip down the river.
Last Reviewed: 10/7/2004