Public Information Portal
Nelson Dikes Safety of Dams Modification Project
This web site provides information about planning efforts for the Nelson Dikes Safety of Dams Modification Project.
Nelson Reservoir, located 19 miles northeast of Malta, Mont, provides offstream storage for irrigation of Malta Division lands in the Saco and Hinsdale areas. A series of dikes, with a maximum structural height of 28 feet, crest length of 9,900 feet, and total volume of 233,000 cubic yards, provide for storage of 79,200 acre-feet of water. The reservoir does not have a spillway. Slide gates installed in the Nelson North Canal outlet works permit releases of water to Milk River for use in the Glasgow Division. Slide gates installed in the Nelson South Canal outlet works permit releases of water for irrigation of project lands.
For more information, please contact the Montana Area Office at 406-247-7300.
- News Release – Reclamation Delays Onsite Construction of Nelson Dikes Safety Modifications to 2016
- News Release – Reclamation Delays Construction of Nelson Dike Safety Modification to 2015
- Final Environmental Assessment (EA) and Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) — Safety of Dams Modification (2.21MB)
- News Release – Reclamation Seeks Public Comment on Nelson Dike Safety Modification
- General Fact Sheet for the Nelson Dikes Safety of Dams Modification Project
Reservoir Data Links
- Current Reservoir Data for Nelson Reservoir
- HydroMet System for Nelson Reservoir
- Reservoir Allocation for Nelson Reservoir
Last Updated: March 19, 2015