Canyon Ferry Reservoir
Goose Bay Marina Recreation Area Information Portal
This web site provides information about planning efforts for the Goose Bay Marina Recreation Area.
Goose Bay Marina is located on the eastern shore of Canyon Ferry Reservoir, near the midway point, north of Townsend, Mont. The bay is among the largest on the reservoir serving as a marina, and is a deep-water bay.
As part of our continuing public outreach, Reclamation is hosting a series of three public meetings to update the public on progress with the Goose Bay Modernization Plan, and to gather comments on future concession and recreation opportunities provided within the Goose Bay Planning Area.
Upcoming Public Meetings:
- Doors open at 6 p.m. and the public is encouraged to stop by prior to 8 p.m.
- June 25: Holiday Inn – 5 Baxter Lane Bozeman
- June 26: Townsend School (multipurpose room) – 201 North Spruce Street Townsend
- June 27: Montana Association of Counties – 2715 Skyway Drive, Suite A Helena
- Submit Comments — Comments must be received by July 26, 2013
- Feasibility (30%) Design: Goose Bay Concession Area Modernization Study, summary (May 2013)
- Goose Bay Marina Draft Site Plans (May 2013)
- Goose Bay Conceptual Modernization Plan (Dec. 2012)
- Draft Goose Bay Recreation Master Plan (Sept. 2009)
- Goose Bay Environmental Assessment (Sept. 2009)
- Goose Bay Public Comment Summary and Analysis Report (May 2009)
In Feb., Reclamation requested a feasibility design study, including layout of marina facilities, roads, trails, camping pads, parking lots, wastewater systems and other site developments. A base level of development and a potential phased expansion to a high level of development were included in the feasibility design.
The feasibility design study, which was completed in May, includes the following facilities and services:
- Store with Dock and Fuel
- Updated Potable Water System
- Updated Septic Systems
- RV Campsites (full service, electrical service only, and no service)
- 4 Park Cabins
- 3 Picnic Shelters
- Group Pavilion
- Replacement Docks
- Courtesy Dock
- Dry Camps (Tent Sites)
- Accessible Fishing Access
- Interpretive Signs
- Fee Stations
- Campground Host Residence
The study also considered a potential RV dump station, flush toilets and showers, vault toilets, a potable water fill station, updated electrical supply system, year-round storage for boats and RVs, a fish cleaning station, overnight boat trailer storage area, day use / picnic areas, as well as shoreline and interior trails to promote easy access to site amenities.
Through extensive public involvement, Reclamation has determined that there are a variety of public interests in the way Goose Bay is managed, the majority which are recreation-related.
Note: While the modernization study will produce designs for a complete future build-out of Goose Bay Marina, the improvements that are constructed will be dependent on available funding.
The photos below are from Appendix F in the Draft EA for the Recreation Master Plan for Goose Bay. These photos show existing locations (left column) next to some of the updates proposed under the different alternatives presented in the EA. Click on a photo below to open a larger version.
Last Updated: June 17, 2013