Canyon Ferry Reservoir
Goose Bay Marina Modernization Project Study
This web site provides information about planning efforts for the Goose Bay Marina Recreation Area.
Goose Bay Marina is located on the eastern shore of Canyon Ferry Reservoir, near the midway point, north of Townsend, Mont. The bay is among the largest on the reservoir serving as a marina, and is a deep-water bay.
You can use this page to sign up for our mailing list, or use our RSS feed to receive automatic updates when information on this page changes. There are also copies of related documents, maps and other study materials associated with the planning process.
Reclamation has been keeping the public informed and gathering comments on the Goose Bay Marina Modernization Study through a series of public meetings, mailings and other outreach tools, such as this web site.
- Reclamation Releases FONSI for Goose Bay Marina Modernization Project (May 22, 2014)
- Reclamation Extends Goose Bay Marina Comment Period to Dec. 21 (Nov. 2013)
- Reclamation Schedules Public Meetings for Goose Bay Marina Modernization Project (Nov. 2013)
- Reclamation Releases Draft EA for Goose Bay Marina Modernization Project (Nov. 2013)
- July 26 Comment Deadline for Goose Bay Marina Modernization (July 2013)
- Reclamation to Host Public Meetings to Seek Input Regarding Goose Bay Modernization (June 2013)
- Reclamation Awards Goose Bay Marina Interim Contract (May 2013)
- Reclamation moves forward with Goose Bay Marina recreation improvement plan (Jan. 2013)
Update May 22, 2014:
Based on the analysis of the environmental impacts described in the Environmental Assessment (EA), the Bureau of Reclamation has released a Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) and Decision Notice for the Goose Bay Marina Modernization Project, located at Canyon Ferry Reservoir, Mont.
The boat ramp at Goose Bay Marina will remain open during the 2014 recreation season. Reclamation-operated camping, located west/northwest of Goose Bay Marina, will remain open for public use with minimum and basic services provided, subject to the 14-day stay limit. There will be no gas service at Goose Bay.
Reclamation estimates the majority of the Goose Bay Marina area will be closed through the 2014 and 2015 recreation seasons allowing for required demolition and construction activities, and plans to have a concessionaire in place for the 2016 recreation season.
If you have questions, please contact us.
- Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) (462KB)
- Final Environmental Assessment (1.29MB)
- Contact Us with Questions about Goose Bay Marina Modernization Project Study
- Sign up for the Goose Bay Marina Modernization Project Study mailing list
- Feasibility (30%) Design: Goose Bay Concession Area Modernization Study, summary (May 2013)
- Goose Bay Marina Draft Site Plans (May 2013)
- Goose Bay Conceptual Modernization Plan (Dec. 2012)
- Draft Goose Bay Recreation Master Plan (Sept. 2009)
- Goose Bay Environmental Assessment (Sept. 2009)
- Goose Bay Public Comment Summary and Analysis Report (May 2009)
- A Citizen's Guide to the NEPA – Having Your Voice Heard (Dec. 2007)
In Feb., Reclamation requested a feasibility design study, including layout of marina facilities, roads, trails, camping pads, parking lots, wastewater systems and other site developments. A base level of development and a potential phased expansion to a high level of development were included in the feasibility design.
The feasibility design study, which was completed in May, includes the following facilities and services:
- Store with Dock and Fuel
- Updated Potable Water System
- Updated Septic Systems
- RV Campsites (full service, electrical service only, and no service)
- 4 Park Cabins
- 3 Picnic Shelters
- Group Pavilion
- Replacement Docks
- Courtesy Dock
- Dry Camps (Tent Sites)
- Accessible Fishing Access
- Interpretive Signs
- Fee Stations
- Campground Host Residence
The study also considered a potential RV dump station, flush toilets and showers, vault toilets, a potable water fill station, updated electrical supply system, year-round storage for boats and RVs, a fish cleaning station, overnight boat trailer storage area, day use / picnic areas, as well as shoreline and interior trails to promote easy access to site amenities.
Through extensive public involvement, Reclamation has determined that there are a variety of public interests in the way Goose Bay is managed, the majority which are recreation-related.
Note: While the modernization study will produce designs for a complete future build-out of Goose Bay Marina, the improvements that are constructed will be dependent on available funding.
The photos below are from Appendix F in the Draft EA for the Recreation Master Plan for Goose Bay. These photos show existing locations (left column) next to some of the updates proposed under the different alternatives presented in the EA. Click on a photo below to open a larger version.
Last Updated: June 5, 2014