WaterSMART Grants provide cost-shared funding for the following types of projects:
- Water and Energy Efficiency Grants – for projects that save water, improve energy efficiency, address endangered species and other environmental issues, and facilitate transfers to new uses. More...
- System Optimization Review Grants – A System Optimization Review is a broad look at system-wide efficiency focused on improving efficiency and operations of a water delivery system, water district, or water basin. The Review results in a plan of action that focuses on improving efficiency and operations on a regional and basin perspective. More...
- Advanced Water Treatment and Pilot and Demonstration Project Grants – for pilot and demonstration projects that address the technical, economic, and environmental viability of treating and using brackish groundwater, seawater, impaired waters, or otherwise creating new water supplies within a specific locale. More...
- Grants to Develop Climate Analysis Tools – for projects focused on the information gaps detailed in the joint Reclamation and United Stated Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) Report titled “Addressing Climate Change in Long-Term Water Resources Planning and Management: User Needs for Improving Tools and Information” (Section 3). Projects support the ongoing efforts under 9503(b) of the SECURE Water Act and may help narrow uncertainties, provide information in more usable forms, or develop more robust strategies for incorporating uncertainty into water management decision-making. More...
Reclamation published a Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) for the main WaterSMART Grants category – Water and Energy Efficiency Grants (WEEG)– on October 30, 2012.
Once final Fiscal Year 2013 appropriations have been made, Reclamation will determine whether funding is sufficient to post FOAs for these other WaterSMART Grants categories:
- Advanced Water Treatment Pilot & Demonstration Project Grants
- Grants to Develop Climate Analysis Tools
- System Optimization Reviews.
Following a budget decision, the earliest these FOAs would be posted is Spring 2013.
WEEG FOA posted, More...
Application Deadline (WEEG)
Selections to be announced (WEEG)
Grants Expected to be Awarded (WEEG)
Please note, some of the above dates are proposed and may be subject to change.
Oct 30, 2012
WaterSMART Water and Energy Efficiency Grant Funding Available for Projects That Conserve Water or Address Water Sustainability
May 24, 2012
Funding Opportunity Available for Efforts to Establish or Expand Watershed Groups
May 2, 2012
WaterSMART Funding Boosts Reclamation, Re-Use and Efficiency Projects to Maximize Water Availability in the West